River Falls Youth Football has been very thoughtful in its approach to the 2020 fall season. We are committed to providing River Falls area kids the opportunity to play flag football in a fun but prudent environment.
Because of the current COVID-19 circumstances, this fall RFYFA will focus on spacing out players and families, minimizing physical contact and providing a sanitary environment. We will still maintain our goal of helping kids realize a passion for the game of football in a positive, structured setting.
Typically, RFYFA has held practices at the Meyer Middle School (MMS) athletic fields every Tuesday and Thursday between late August and mid October. In addition, games have taken place on MMS fields Saturday mornings during that same timeframe. As noted below, teams will only practice one time per week in an effort to increase the amount of space between practicing teams. In addition, there will be four (instead of the usual six) Saturday games. The 2020 RFYFA game schedule limits the number of games taking place at the same time, which increases space and reduces exposure between different parties.
The following outline details the specific actions RFYFA is executing to mitigate COVID-19 risk this fall.
- Grade 1-2 Practicing 1X per week on Tuesdays
- Grade 3-4 Practicing 1X per week on Thursdays
- Grade 5-6 Practicing 1X per week with 1/2 teams on Tuesdays and 1/2 teams on Thursdays
- Grade 1-2 Saturday Games at 10:00am
- Grade 3-4 Saturday Games at 11:15am
- Grade 5-6 Saturday Games at 12:30pm
- Urge family members to limit spectators at practices and games
- Request spectators from different households to sit/stand at least six feet from each other
Minimize Physical Contact
- Request teams to not line up for a handshake after the game
- Request teams not “break down” in a tight huddle
- Urge huddles on field spaced out
- Request players to space out on sidelines if not on the field
- All balls, flags and cones will be sanitized before and after practice
- Hand sanitizer will be provided for each team
- Coaches to take team attendance each practice and game
- Request players, families, coaches, and refs to check for fever and other signs before practice and games
- Players will use same flag belt for practice and games
- No concession stands will be provided
- Masks will be available for coaches and players and given to every team
- COVID-19 lead from RFYFA Board for coaches and families with questions or concerns and contact if someone in family catches CV-19
Cancelled Events to Limit COVID-19 Exposure
- Wildcats Youth Football Camp
- Team Picture Day
- Halftime Scrimmage at Varsity Home Game
- UWRF Falcons Practice Night
- Pass, Punt & Kick Contest
- Thursday Night Under the Lights at new RFHS turf field